Nowadays, we are presented with two categories of food whenever we are shopping. They are organic and GMO. Organic food is grown fresh on the farm with no chemical input or enhancement. On the other hand, GMO food is genetically modified. In full, GMO means Genetically Modified Organism (GMO). Food that is made in this way undergoes enhancement using recombinant deoxyribonucleic acid (rDNA) technology. It is bioengineered food to promote specific aspects such as taste, shelf-life, and resistance to pests. More than 80% of all food today is genetically enhanced. Therefore, it is fairly difficult to avoid it. Furthermore, GMO food is not labeled as such. While food manufacturers insist that GMO food is safe, nutritionists and physicians have linked it with diseases such as cancer. As such, it is advisable to avoid GMO food. Here are some reasons why.
It is dangerous to your health
- GMO food is grown using chemicals and pesticides that are toxic. The food can contain residue which is highly likely to harm your health.
- Lab mammals which are fed GMO food normally suffer from damage to their inner organs including their spleen, kidneys, liver, adrenal glands and heart. Their immune systems also get compromised and the sizes of their brains shrink.
It is dangerous to the environment
- Food is grown using GMO technology normally requires huge amounts of chemicals that are very harmful to water, soil, organisms, and the atmosphere as well. GMO crops used more than 26% more pesticide per acre than organic food in 2008.
- GMOs are influencing the development of pesticides which are stronger and more poisonous.
- GMOs are causing the growth of superweeds. These weeds have evolved such that they are resistant to glyphosate, a pesticide chemical used upon GMO crops. Soil eroding cultivation techniques and stronger, more toxic chemicals are being developed to kill these superweeds.
- Crops grown through GM strategies make a contribution to global warming. GMO crops require the implementation of synthetic nitrogen fertilizer. This fertilizer is responsible for 60% of all emissions of nitrous oxide, a major greenhouse gas. Furthermore, GM crops require the burning of fossil fuels to produce these synthetic nitrogen fertilizers.
- GMO cultivation methods contaminate organic food systems. More than 50% of organic crops such as soybean seed and corn have been contaminated with GMO genes.
- Insects that are beneficial to the environment can be harmed immensely by GMO crop production. According to a study performed at the Cornell University, monarch butterflies suffered great mortality rates after eating milkweed leaves that had been dusted with the BT toxin pesticide for GMO crops. Bees are also reducing in population due to GMO pesticides which are known as neonicotinoids.
It is dangerous for social and general human rights
- GMO crops are usually promoted as a method of feeding the globe and reducing hunger. However, studies have shown that GMO crops do not actually produce higher harvest yields.
- Through GMO crops, corporations achieve control over seeds and food. As a matter of fact, only a single company controls approximately 95% of all GM seeds. This limits access to these seeds and the cultivation of crops.
- GMO corporations don’t allow farmers to save seeds. In this way, the farmers do not have any way to ensure their food security.
- GMO agriculture promotes industrial farming practices. This has resulted in the complete loss of family farms and livelihoods across the world.
Due to these reasons, you should not buy or consume GMO food. Instead, choose organic food. It is healthy, has a high yield and has more nutritional content. Consume only organic food and save the planet!